Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hebrews Bible Study - Wednesday



Wednesday – Leaving Good for Better!


When I first began to have feelings for my wife (obviously she wasn’t my wife yet), I was in a relationship with my college roommate’s sister. I had thought she was “the one” for me. But the more time I spent with Allyson, the more I felt confused by the pulling of my heart strings. The answer came in a little saying that I use often… “Sometimes you have to leave good for better!” For me it was leaving a good relationship for what was clearly better for me.

As Christians, we are constantly bombarded with these same moments of indecisiveness. We find ourselves caught up in good things (sometimes only from our own perspectives)…but we know they’re not best. Sometimes it’s because we don’t know how much better “best” is. At other times we know what is better but choose to settle for less anyway. Yet why would any of us settle for good…when best is available? Yet we do this all the time with Christ. We know He is much more superior, greater, and better, but we settle for just simply good. Maybe it’s time to leave good for better!

Daily Reading: John 3:31-35; Colossians 1-2; Revelation 5

1. In each of these passages, who is describing Jesus’ superiority?



2. What does Paul mean when he says that the fullness of the Deity lives in Christ (Col. 2:9)? Notice it also says that the fullness of Christ is in us (1:27)…what does this mean for us?



3. What areas of your life would you say that you need to leave good for better (Christ)? What are the things holding you back? Why can’t you trust Christ in these areas (especially if He is all that these passages describe)?



No comments:

Post a Comment