Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Hebrews Bible Study - Thursday


Thursday – Who’s in Charge?


I love watching those shows that demonstrate the proper way to train your dog. My small, 11 lbs dog, Daisy, can be pretty ferocious at times (honestly…I’m exaggerating a little). I always get a kick out of the expert trainers on TV saying, “You have to show your dog who’s in charge.” Exactly, Daisy needs to know that I, at 200 lbs more than her, am in charge. Yet it seems I really have no authority. I find it hysterical that my wife, however, can walk up to her and say two words and Daisy will do exactly what she asks. “Daisy, sit down!” She sits down. “Daisy, calm down!” She calms down. “Daisy, go bother my husband!” And Daisy bothers me. It’s like she really has no idea the power I have…yet she will listen to my wife.

Isn’t this exactly how we are with Christ sometimes? We know the authority that He has…instead we act as if He won’t use it or has given it all to us. Christ has the authority to wipe us off the map, yet in grace and mercy, He uses that authority to lead us and guide us into a life worth living.

Daily Readings: Zechariah 9:9-10; Matthew 8:23-27 & 9:1-7; Mark 1:21-28; John 5: 24-27

1. From the above passages, what are some things Christ has authority over?



2. Where does He get such authority? How does having this authority make Him superior to other ‘gods’?



3. Notice Hebrews 1:4-14 focuses on Christ being better than the angels…1:14 says that these angels serve us who are inheriting salvation. But how do they serve us?



4. Does Christ have authority in your life? How is Christ’s authority revealed in your daily life?

2 comments:

  1. Daivd

    The concept of the Authority and Lordship of God in our lives is always a good challenge for us as believers. I don't know the answer to your number 3 question, maybe I am missing it. I can honestly say I dont think of Angels as in the service of the believers.

    Jer

    ReplyDelete
  2. to clarify my point earlier this morning...I truly believe that many people have entertained angels unaware, and many like myself have some amazing stories regarding a situation that can only be explained by interaction with the angelic. The key is that I think we all often take it for grant it and possibly even dismiss the supernatural encounters. In my daily life i would say that i probably miss it more than i can possibly imagine. So "How do they serve us?" , probably in more ways than we can possibly imagine.

    Jer

    ReplyDelete