Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Hebrews Bible Study: Hebrews 4-5 Thursday


Thursday - Qualify


Focus Passage: Hebrews 5:5-6

Read: Genesis 14:17-24; John 8; Phil. 2:4-8

There are many things I don’t like in this world…stink bugs, long lines, dental floss, and cats (please don’t take that personally…I am allergic to them). But one thing that always gets to me is the telemarketing calls saying that I qualify for some great prize. Now don’t get me wrong, I love getting prizes. But there is something bothersome about these calls. Honestly…I don’t even know who these people are. They never received any information from me but somehow they know I qualify (at least that’s what they say). What’s more frustrating is that they put me on hold so they can check if I really do qualify. Make sure I get this right…I qualify so they can check if I do qualify.

What made Christ qualified to be our sacrifice? How could the God of the universe ever qualify to take our place and experience the weight of our pain? Only one possible way…Christ had to humble Himself. He had to hide His glory behind the weakness of human flesh to qualify as our worthy sacrifice. All of this, He did in order to make “the call” to us to say that we qualify for His good…through His working…His information.

1. In what way did Melchizedek, humble himself as King of Salem accepting the offering of Abraham?

2. What qualifying factors do we see in Hebrews 5, John 8, and Phil. 2 relating to Christ as the ultimate High Priest?

3. How does Christ qualifying as our sacrifice aid us in qualifying as followers of His? How does this release me in trying to qualify?

No comments:

Post a Comment